cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi All, the answer is Linux, now what was the question?

Martin2013

Hi All, the answer is Linux, now what was the question?

Hi All
Very old PlusNET "newbie" here. (though I did briefly have an ic24.net dial-up if that counts)? I may have forgotten more about *nix and *nux than many of you. I cut my first teeth Kernigan and Ritchie "C" on a well-known Ft Worth, TX retailers Model 6000 dual-processor Z-80/68000 beast running TRS-XENIX (google it, Micro$oft once upon a long time ago sold a *nix OS!). I'm self taught from the dozen or so 2" thick, handsomely leatherette bound laser printouts of the man documentation that came with the 8" floppy disk media.
I'm not sure whether I'll be learning or teaching, helping or being helped, here, but I have worked with/at/for many boards, forums etc.
I just ask that you give me a little slack, (not too much to hang meself with!) and if my wacky sense of humo(u)r goes too far, well either mv it to /dev/null or let me know.
BTW, some say I look like Richard Stallman - if he were a little younger, then I could say that HE looks like ME Wink
6 REPLIES 6
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Hi All, the answer is Linux, now what was the question?

Welcome to the forums Martin - we're an argumentative (at times) but friendly bunch on here. Don't quote any preceeding posts in full and you'll get along fine with the Moderators Wink
I'm a Linux man myself but considering applying for a job at a local school who are Windows Server based. It will be a bit of a shock to the system !
I remember sneaking down to the basement in Tandy when I was a kid (back in the 80's) and blagging time on their TRS-80 machines. The manager was great and in later years I ended up working with him, then having to run the store myself (long story but involving another manager who went AWOL). I'm still friends with him and lots of great memories of the old machines and systems although I still have nightmares about the old POS systems (which were marginally easier than the old hand written tickets !).
Dom
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: picbits
I'm a Linux man myself but considering applying for a job at a local school who are Windows Server based. It will be a bit of a shock to the system !

You'll find that enjoyably frustrating  Shocked Cheesy
I did that as a "wind down" after taking "early retirement" - and ended up finishing 8 years later having supervised a shift from 35 PCs to around 400 student use PCs plus staff laptops Roll_eyes
DHCP/DNS services with Squid/Apache combined on a linux box were very effective at content control (in addition to County controls)  Grin Grin
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: PeeGee
DHCP/DNS services with Squid/Apache combined on a linux box were very effective at content control (in addition to County controls)  Grin Grin

I actually run a Squid/Apache/Dansguardian system here on a VM on my 12.04 Ubuntu server - saves the step-monster accessing stuff he shouldn't and also handy to bandwidth limit him (he managed to download 5Gb of videos in around half an hour when I first got my FTTC !
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Welcome to the forums Martin.The Linux side isn't too busy, occasional user asking for "which distro to use" or general support queries. Glad to have you on board.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The Linux side isn't too busy, occasional user asking for "which distro to use" or general support queries.

Well I'm hoping to change that real soon if I don't stop messing  Grin Welcome Martin, I don't have a clue what you're talking about but I'm sure the others will. You've already started teaching, I now know who Richard Stallman is.  Wink
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Martin2013
BTW, some say I look like Richard Stallman - if he were a little younger, then I could say that HE looks like ME Wink

Just say 'Linux' when you mean 'GNU/Linux' and nobody will ever mistake you for Stallman.....