Friday 31st October 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

Paperless Driving Licence 2015

« on 30/10/2013, 16:33 »
From 2015 all motorists will have to have a paperless driving licence but what does this mean for those drivers holding the old fashioned licence will they be required to hold the new version which includes a photograph and of more importance what if anything will it cost ?

http://www.pedigreeas.co....LicenceForMotoristsBy2015
The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal, always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest, the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind & body.
« Reply #1 on 30/10/2013, 16:37 »
The article doesn't say that motorists have to have a photo licence, just that the current photo card+paper licence will change to photo card only.
« Reply #2 on 30/10/2013, 17:08 »
When I got my photocard driving licence (plastic) I also received a paper version as well headed 'Counterpart Driving Licence'

The paper version is issued as defined in the Road Traffic Act and there is an instruction to keep both the photocard and paper counterpart together.
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
« Reply #3 on 30/10/2013, 17:46 »
I have just the paper licence - I've lived in the same place for years so haven't qualified by change of address and I refuse to pay for a plastic one.
« Reply #4 on 30/10/2013, 18:25 »
Eventually you're going to have to - like it or not.   Wink
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
  • w23
  • I'm definitely NOT normal, and never have been.
  • View Profile
« Reply #5 on 30/10/2013, 18:55 »
Another 'paper only' license holder here (mind you it's starting to fall apart - actually that started several years ago).

The fewer things with my photograph the better. 
Call me 'w23' Wink
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
  • Strat
  • Forum Moderator
  • View Profile
« Reply #6 on 30/10/2013, 19:05 »
I also have a card and paper licence, the paper version is a recent replacement for my old one which disintegrated.

The 'new' one is also suffering badly as I carry it with me.

By the way, has anyone tried to find out what information the DVLA holds about you by logging into their system with your Government Gateway User ID.

I did apply for and receive a User ID many moons ago and have forgotten it so tried to resurrect it but I keep going round in circles Angry

« Last Edit: 30/10/2013, 19:20 by Strat »

Customer and Forum Moderator.
« Reply #7 on 30/10/2013, 19:20 »
I have a plastic one but never carry the paper counterpart!

Recently whilst hiring a car in Rome, I used my plastic licence and my son-in-law used his paper counterpart. Both appeared to contain the relevant info for each driver as far as the hire co. were concerned!  Cheesy
Geoff - York, UK
Can't call me a Coffin Dodging Luddite now!
Now switched over to an Alienware M17-R1 laptop!
Dell Precision 690 with 2 Xeons relegated to doing graphical work only.

80/20 Fibre unlimited; Eves and weekends phone.

• Mav
  • View Profile
« Reply #8 on 30/10/2013, 19:37 »
By the way, has anyone tried to find out what information the DVLA holds about you by logging into their system with your Government Gateway User ID.

I did apply for and receive a User ID many moons ago and have forgotten it so tried to resurrect it but I keep going round in circles Angry
I just logged in and I could see I have 'Motoring online' but all I could do is set a reference name for it. Other than that all I could appear to do is change email/password.

The gateway must hold a great deal of information for me as I have used it for other than motoring. It seems that you don't actually access the systems you want through gateway.gov.uk but through the service you require like change details on driving licence.
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
  • Strat
  • Forum Moderator
  • View Profile
« Reply #9 on 30/10/2013, 19:41 »
I have a small selection of IDs none of which work on the DVLA site.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
« Reply #10 on 30/10/2013, 20:03 »
@strat
I think you can create a new gateway ID.
I have two, a personal one and one I use for work stuff.
twitter / beeare
« Reply #11 on 30/10/2013, 20:08 »
@strat  I've just sent you a PM

« Last Edit: 30/10/2013, 20:29 by 2u2me »

« Reply #12 on 31/10/2013, 06:16 »
I'll bet there are still some people driving around on their little red book.
« Reply #13 on 31/10/2013, 08:08 »
Not legally, you HAD to replace those. Still got mine somewhere though.
« Reply #14 on 31/10/2013, 09:25 »
Lots of license changes, all to bring us in line with Europe.
By December 31st this year all people with a manual car licence and an automatic PCV licence MUST be automatically upgraded to entitle them to drive manual buses and coaches.  Which may go some way to explain some of the coach crashes on the continent.
If you are reading this...get a life!! Go read a good book, or the back of a cornflakes box...anything but this drivel. Get a hobby, join a club.Or join a bdsm group and get clubbed.
« Reply #15 on 31/10/2013, 09:45 »
Confession time: I worked as a Systems Analyst at the DVLC (subsequently DVLA). During that time (mid 70s), I helped design the layout of the paper driving licence. Handling the bi-lingual versions and also the permutations of driving licences/endorsements made life somewhat complex. There was quite a variety of driving licence forms  layouts.The main constraint however was the limitations of the 160 (column) hammer barrel printers which were fast but  not terribly accurate. These printers had a barrel about 6 inches in diameter and the circumference was lined with rows of type characters. You printed a row at a time with the hammers timed to hit  the ribbon against the paper when the appropriate character was in line. If the printer timing was wrong the wrong characters would be printed. At the time these were the fastest printers available.

The problem with paper licences was they soon disintegrated under conditions of wear. With the printing/finishing/paper handling machinery available it was not cost efficient to quickly produce a booklet type of licence.containing the variable licence data.

With the advent of laser printing the situation changed as was then possible to produce very fine print in any surface position on the paper/plastic card. This continues with modern high speed inkjet printers. Hence the production of a plastic card licence which in theory is more durable, but there was still not enough space for endorsements, hence the paper supplement.  With the advent of good on-line systems there is no real need for the paper bit, though it might mean some foreign hire companies might not be able to spot drivers convicted of traffic offences.

ps:
For the mathematicians the last two digits of the driver number are check digits based on modulus 523. When I was involved in preparing test data in the early days we had to calculate these by hand (and long division) until someone had the time to write a program to produce lists of dummy numbers.

Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE